The Chapin Ruritan Club is celebrating 70 years of service this year, established in November 1948. Through the years, the club has been involved in many endeavors in the interests of fellowship, goodwill and community service.
These decades of service to the Chapin community will be celebrated this coming Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. at Mt. Horeb Lutheran Church on East Boundary Street. All members, former members and their families, and friends of the Chapin Ruritan Club are invited.
Also pictured are members of the club preparing table decorations.
Here’s a look back at the Chapin Ruritan Club as we celebrated their 45th anniversary in 1993. At that time, J.B. Addy was the only charter member still active in the Club. He cut the 45th birthday cake.
There were 24 active Chapin Ruritans in the club’s 45th year. They were: J.B. Addy, Albert Amick, J.C. Amick, Vernon A. Amick, John C. Anderson, Ronnie Boland, Dale Cook, Dr. Ronald Crawford, Michael O.W. Edens, Kenneth Frick, Danny Johnson, James Mills, Hershel Murry, Evans Proctor, Billy Sellers, Curtis M. Shealy, David E. Shealy, G. Melvin Slice, Gerald Steele, Paul Summers Jr. Richard Thirlwell and Dick Weldon. Honorary members were Carl B. Chapman, Charles LaRosa, Richard Corley and William Collins.
Among the Chapin Ruritan endeavors in 1993 were: fundraisers to support Chapin High School scholarships, Little League baseball, Boys State representatives, the Newberry Boys Farm, the Greater Chapin Chamber of Commerce, the Labor Day Festival Car/Truck show and the Ruritan National Foundation.
Today the Chapin Ruritan Club continues its active community involvement. In 1993 membership was men only. Today, the Club invites men and women into membership. Ruritans meet on the fourth Monday of every month at 6:30 p.m. Guests and prospective members, and those who just want to know more about Ruritan, are always invited.
For more information, contact 2018 Ruritan President Carl Connelly at 513-1049.